When you want to start working with Garmin BaseCamp, you need some maps installed. You can buy them from Garmin, but you definitely don’t need to.
Follow the next 4 easy steps to install the free maps from OSM (Openstreetmap) onto your PC.
1 – Download the file
- Go to https://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/ and click on the bottom-left square: Maps for Garmin GPS-Receivers.
- Go to Maps and choose the country you need. If your country is not in the dropdown, choose More Countries.
- Next look at your prefered language and download the GMAP Install Archive (full) for Garmin BaseCamp file.
2 – Unzip the file
To unzip the file you just downloaded, right-click on it and choose Extract Here. Things may look a bit different if you have WinZip installed. If you see no way to unzip your file, please download and install WinRAR first.
3 – Install the map
- After unzipping, you will see two files appear. Open the executable file (the one that starts with GMAP)
- Click Next – I Agree – Install – Finish
4 – Enable the map in Garmin BaseCamp
- Open BaseCamp. If the program was already open, please close and reopen it.
- Click on the dropdown menu just above the map, select the map you just installed. If you don’t see a dropdown menu, click on ‘Maps’ in the top menu and select the map.
- That’s it.
If you have any trouble with the steps above or just advice in general, let me know in the comments!
Found any use in this article? Help me stay awake while writing with a virtual cup of coffee! 👇Buy me a coffee