When you want to start working with Garmin BaseCamp, you need some maps installed. You can buy them from Garmin, but you definitely don’t need to.
Follow the next 4 easy steps to install the free maps from OSM (Openstreetmap) onto your PC.
1 – Download the file
- Go to https://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/ and click on the bottom-left square: Maps for Garmin GPS-Receivers.
- Go to Maps and choose the country you need. If your country is not in the dropdown, choose More Countries.
- Next look at your prefered language and download the GMAP Install Archive (full) for Garmin BaseCamp file.
2 – Unzip the file
To unzip the file you just downloaded, right-click on it and choose Extract Here. Things may look a bit different if you have WinZip installed. If you see no way to unzip your file, please download and install WinRAR first.
3 – Install the map
- After unzipping, you will see two files appear. Open the executable file (the one that starts with GMAP)
- Click Next – I Agree – Install – Finish
4 – Enable the map in Garmin BaseCamp
- Open BaseCamp. If the program was already open, please close and reopen it.
- Click on the dropdown menu just above the map, select the map you just installed. If you don’t see a dropdown menu, click on ‘Maps’ in the top menu and select the map.
- That’s it.
If you have any trouble with the steps above or just advice in general, let me know in the comments!
On my Instagram @noplacelikeoutside I create the perfect illusion of being on adventures all the time. In my daily life, I sit behind a computer most of the time as a geo-data analyst.
Found any use in this article? Help me stay awake while writing with a virtual cup of coffee! 👇Buy me a coffee